Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Progress!

Sorry for the late update! Sunday Keith started to breath a lot on his own, so they have been weaning him off the ventilator day by day. He does pretty well, except he just gets tired so it gets slower. But it's big progress! He is also much more alert than he ever has been. He tried to talk all the time, and mouth stuff to us. He still has a tube in his trachea, so words don't come out, but yesterday he mouthed 'Good Morning' to my mom! So he is also acknowledging who we are now. He recognizes voices as well, and he can smile. There is some brain swelling, which is why he has been so slow to come out of it, and it seems like he is sedated, but he will completely come out of it and be able to talk and everything once the brain swelling goes down. This isn't anything serious, it is expected with such trauma. But once there is no more swelling, they will operate on his head. They have also allowed him to be sat up, so he is no longer stuck laying down, and he looks SO much more comfortable. This has already been quite the process, so we just have to be patient and remind ourselves, BABY STEPS! Things seem to be falling apart all over, but we remain strong as a family and look to God for strength, and we can't express our gratitude for the blessings we have received. Although much that happens seems to be totally unnecessary, we know there is much learning and growing for us to do out of every situation we have been confronted with. And we know your prayers are the reason we are so optimistic and they are the reason for our strength through these hard times. Again, you can't know how grateful we are for each and every one of you and your prayers. Thank you all, and much love!

P.S. They are starting physical therapy today! Yay!

12 comments:

  1. Love and prayers sent your way.
    Pam and Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSSSS! He's definitely on his way back! Good to hear about all the baby steps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your updates! Your family continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping the family in my prayers and thankful for the updates. All the best as you take the road less traveled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle and I love these updates and we love your family. Continue keeping everyone posted--your dad is amazing and we're soooo grateful for his recovery and fighting spirit! Love that man!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the updates. We are praying for Brother Longmore a lot. I have passed on the word to those who were in the same ward as me back at BYU that do not know. I just know that there are angels watching over him. Miracles do happen. I know it is not the same but as I read this blog. I think of my little niece, who due to a heart defect had open heart surgery at 5 days old. It has been quite a challenge for the family and there have been many set backs. I often feel helpless and that is hard but I know that the Lord is in charge. All of Gods children are in his hands. It is good to know who is watching over us. I will continue to pray for blessings of healing for Brother Longmore. I know that the Savior is with you all. He knows you and loves you
    Heather Stallard( was Johnson)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, My last comment had a grammatical error and it was going to drive me crazy so I deleted it! ..I just wanted you to know that I think you are an awesome pillar of strength and my hero! Take care of yourself-please!
    Love you tons,
    Taina ♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the most wonderful news. Some of the tiredness is caused by the brain taking all the energy it can to heal itself. I had a brain infection and that is what the nurses told me so I am passing that info to you. If Keith wants to talk and they do not put a plug in the trach he can just put his finger over the hole and talk sometimes that works. We are in awe of you and the strength you show. We love your Dad just because we found him to be a great guy when we met him years ago in Roseburg and when he turned out to be one of our tour guides when we went on his last CHT. What fun we had. Bob and Joyce Long

    ReplyDelete
  10. We, too, are so grateful for this blog which keeps us updated on the progress of your father. We thank you so much for taking time to do this. He and your family are remembered in our prayers. I am not sure if Amy was able to let you know that we are in Florida serving a CES Mission. We love it so far. We were so grateful for Amy's thoughtfulness. We were so glad she got to see your mother for a bit! Love you all!

    Mel & Tim Juett

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huzzah to the highest!!!!! Soooo glad that things continue to improve. Karen- you and your family are truly amazing and an inspirational example to me of how to pull together when the going gets tough. Thank you for the updates, Jayne!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We passed a hay field on our way home from the coast yesterday and thought of Keith. I doubt that we will ever be able to see another one without thinking of him. Damon and Tina Cronin

    ReplyDelete