Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Change of Scenery!

As of today, it has been 3 weeks since Keith's accident. He is making a lot of progress, especially in the last few days. Although, he does have an infection in his lungs (they think might be pneumonia), and has acquired a bladder infection recently as well. It has been decided that they are not going to operate on his head anymore, because the risk of infection is greater than the need to operate. They were planning on moving him from the Murray hospital on Monday, but because the bladder infection came up, they thought it best to hold off. They were then talking about moving him today, but if the infection is pneumonia, they have to wait a little longer. He has already been there a week longer than they were expecting him to be, so we are praying he can be released soon! He will be moved to a progressive treatment/rehab center in Provo, called Utah Valley Specialty Hospital. There are only 3 centers like this in the state of Utah, so he will be in great hands. And he's only a couple miles away from home too! So he will get lots of friends visiting (: They put the speaking tube in yesterday and asked him a bunch of questions, and he answered them pretty clearly, which is a good sign. He thinks it's still July, and when they asked him where he was, it sounded like he answered Lincoln City, which is where he and my mom were supposed to be vacationing in Oregon at the end of July. He still doesn't understand why he's in the hospital though, which really frustrates him. All he was saying was 'I want to go home' and 'I don't want to be here', so it's pretty clear he's over the whole hospital scene (; They think he might have some short-term memory loss, but he remembers all of his kids, and my mom, and recognized all of us, so it also might just be the brain swelling. He will have to have some sort of assistance breathing for the next couple months, until his lungs are back to normal, and he is going to have to be in a wheel-chair for about 3 months as well, because he can't put any weight on his pelvis at all. He will be doing a lot of physical therapy for his legs in bed though, and he will get lots of therapy on his arms right now. Being in bed for 3 weeks, he has lost most of the muscle in his legs and arms, but they don't think it will be much of a problem, with some therapy. Keith is very restless, and uncomfortable, as you can imagine, so he has not been a happy camper! It kills him to be incapacitated like this, because he is such an independent, hard working, stubborn man! So he doesn't do well being stuck in a bed all day, not being able to do anything for himself. And not knowing why, makes it even harder. The doctors say the brain usually blocks out the accident altogether, and most of the time in the ICU as well, so he will have lots of questions! We realize more now than before, how difficult this recovery is going to be on him and his spirits, so please, please pray for him to handle it well, and leave lots of encouraging messages! He will never get tired of them (: and he will need them, for sure! Thanks again to all of you for your prayers thus far, and for all of the love we have received from all of you!

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there my friend! We continue to pray and fast for you as a family. When you have had some time to recover I would love to come see you and Karen.

    I am sure I speak for all of your old Yakima students in that we will keep you in all our prayers.

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not had a single hour go by that I haven't thought, and prayed for you, my dear friend. I was so grateful to see you when I came down from Wyoming. I'm back in Connecticut now but I am coming out for meetings the last week in October so I will come and see you then. Your family has been good to keep me in the communication lines and I love you all dearly!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Karen and family, please know that we are praying for all of you too. This is very tough on you, but the Lord will bless you all for your service to Keith right now.
    Keith, keep up the fight! Never, ever give up! You are one of the Lords strongest and best, and He will help you through this. I hope you know of the love that so many have for you, and how hard we are praying for you. God bless you, my friend.

    John Standing and all the Standing clan

    ReplyDelete
  4. His college friend, Carol Ferrell, and family are praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kieth- You have inspired me more than you can imagine. I am sorry you are in such great pain and can't go as you so please. I want you to know that I pray and fast for your family. I was hoping to join your class again at UVU, when I heard the news it was devastating. I am glad I got to see your beautiful wife and children. :) I got to see you smile for a quick moment when you saw Brad's Card of Superman. I forgot my card so I signed his but I will bring it to you when I can. It was soo amazing to see that smile on your face though your hardship. I miss you and I love you very much. The Poulsen family and Brad are praying for you daily.

    Love, Eliza K Poulsen (The late one)

    ReplyDelete